- Analysis of Comments and Implementation of the NIH Public Access Policy (09/30/2008) - (PDF - 3.74 MB)
- All Comments from the Open Meeting and RFI (12/05/2008) - Comments are also available for downloading in an xml file, schema file and style sheet (Zip File - 412 KB).
View RFI Feedback
Request for Information: NIH Public Access Policy
March 28, 2008 to May 31, 2008
NIH implemented the Public Access Policy on January 11, 2008. As of April 7, 2008, all final peer-reviewed manuscripts arising from NIH funds must be submitted to PubMed Central upon acceptance for publication. As of May 25, 2008, NIH applications, proposals, and progress reports must include the PubMed Central reference number when citing a paper that falls under the policy and is authored or co-authored by the investigator, or arose from the investigator's NIH award.
NIH is seeking information from the public, including all stakeholders, about the NIH Public Access Policy (NOT-OD-05-022), as revised by the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts (NOT-OD-08-033) to incorporate requirements in PL 110-161 and the responses to frequently asked questions available at: /FAQ.htm#content. NIH will consider all comments and suggestions regarding the Public Access Policy. Among other issues, the NIH is particularly interested in information about the following:
- Do you have recommendations for alternative implementation approaches to those already reflected in the NIH Public Access Policy?
- In light of the change in law that makes NIH's public access policy mandatory, do you have recommendations for monitoring and ensuring compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy?
- In addition to the information already posted at /communications.htm, what additional information, training or communications related to the NIH Public Access Policy would be helpful to you?
View Comments Received (178)