Publishers that Will Deposit a Specific Paper in PubMed Central on Request
The table below lists publishers that will support authors in posting papers to PMC, either using Method B or Method D. If a journal is not listed under Method A, and the journal publisher is not listed here, authors must use submission Method C and deposit the final peer-reviewed manuscript in PMC via the NIH Manuscript Submission system (NIHMS). See Submission Methods for more instructions about the submission process.
Author asks publisher to deposit specific final published article in PMC, usually for a fee.
Publisher deposits the final peer-reviewed manuscript into NIHMS. The Author must complete all remaining steps in the NIHMS in order for the submission to be accepted.
The publisher programs that have this arrangement with NIH are:
- ACS AuthorChoice
- APA Open Access
- American Psychiatric Publishing Funder-Supported Public Access
- BMJ Open Access
- Cambridge Open Access
- ERJ Open
- European Society of Endocrinology Open Access
- Hogrefe OpenMind
- Maney MORE Open Choice
- NPG Open Access
- Palgrave Open
- Portland Press Opt2Pay
- RSM Open
- Royal College of Psychiatrists Open Access
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- SAGE Choice
- Society for Endocrinology Open Access
- Society for Reproduction and Fertility Open Access
- Springer Open Choice
- Taylor & Francis iOpenAccess
- The Journal of Immunology Author Choice
- Wiley-Blackwell Online Open
Please contact the respective journals directly for details on their programs.
The publishers that perform this service for their authors are:
- AME Publishing
- American Association For Cancer Research
- American Association Of Immunologists
- American Chemical Society
- American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Psychological Association
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Bio-Complexity Journal
- Begell House Publishers
- Cambridge University Press
- Entomological Society of America
- Expert Reviews
- Future Medicine Ltd
- Healthcare Bulletin
- Informa Healthcare
- Institute Of Physics
- John Wiley And Sons Publishing
- Karger Publishing
- Lippincott, Williams And Wilkins
- Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. Publishers
- Nature Publishing Group
- New England Journal Of Medicine
- Radiation Research Society
- Royal Society Of Chemistry
- San Lucas Medical
- Science Publications
- Society for Endocrinology And Bioscientifica Ltd
- Society For Neuroscience
- Springer Publishing
- Taylor And Francis Group
- University of California Press
- University of Chicago Press
- World Scientific Publishing
Please work with the publisher to ensure the final peer-reviewed manuscript is submitted to the NIHMS upon acceptance for publication.
These publishers have an arrangement with NIH to deposit individual final published articles in PubMed Central (PMC) on a case-by-case basis. These journals do not automatically deposit every NIH-funded paper in PMC. Rather, the author can choose to arrange with the journal for the deposit of a specific article; this usually involves choosing the journal’s fee-based open access option for publishing that article.
Authors using this submission method are responsible for ensuring that the journal deposits the article in PMC to be made publicly available no later than 12 months after publication, in accordance with the NIH Public Access Policy.
These publishers have volunteered to deposit a final peer-reviewed manuscript to the NIHMS when they determine that it falls under the NIH Public Access Policy.
NIH has no formal relationship with these publishers. Authors and awardees are responsible for ensuring that the manuscript is deposited into the NIHMS upon acceptance for publication, in accordance with the NIH Public Access Policy.